Fork me on GitHub
Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorLunar
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2013

Hi, I'm writing my first mobile app with AIR on Android. I've not moved to a stage3d framework yet because so far I've been getting good fps in all the little activities I've created until now. The activities have all been designed to produce lovely particle shapes on screen when the user touches the screen. I'm getting between 50-60 fps until there are loads of shapes on the screen. This is as I would expect...

Now I've just made the first activity where there are only 6 particle shapes already moving on screen - revolving around in an ellipse. Strangely I'm only getting 20-30 fps and as a result the animation is not smooth. Even stranger, as soon as I touch the screen AND move my finger around the fps goes up to 50-60fps and the animation gets very smooth. I'm not doing anything to the emitter when I touch the screen. Even if I do eg add a gravitywell, I get the same increase in fps.

I really can't figure this one out. Is my app gaining a better access to system resources simply by moving my finger around than if not? I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify what might be happening behind the scenes...
    • CommentAuthorLunar
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013

Changed the renderMode from "direct" to "cpu" and now hitting 50-60 fps. Don't think I quite understand the difference between the modes yet...